Landing a Job in International DevelopmentEvent offered by:
Foreign Policy Association
- Wednesday, April 24, 2013
6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Columbia University - Altschul Auditorium, Room 417, International Affairs Building
420 West 118th Street
New York, NY
- Event type
From multilateral actors to non-governmental organizations, careers in international development offer excitement and the chance to work toward the greater good.
In this course, we will explore:
• How much can you expect to earn
• What organizations are hiring today
• Who is being hired and what skills do they have
• What training programs or internships can give you an edge
• Who should you be networking with and where
• Tips for polishing your resume, cover letter, and application
• What to expect once you're in
All attendees receive:
• The FPA Landing a Job in International Development Tool Book
• Enrollment in the Foreign Policy Association Global Jobs email alerts
• Light food and drink during a networking/Q&A session
• A complementary six-month digital subscription to Foreign Affairs Magazine
Who should attend?
• Undergraduate and Graduate students considering or preparing for a career in international development
• Young professionals breaking into a career in international development
• Mid-career professionals transitioning to a career in international development
For those unable to attend any of our Global Career Boot Camps, the course specific Tool Book for each Boot Camp can be purchased for $30 on the registration page. This will include the material covered at the event, from resume writing to field-specific advice. To purchase a Tool Book for any event, purchase the “Tool Book” ticket on that Boot Camp’s Eventbrite listing. You will receive a link to the downloadable Tool Book (PDF) via email within 48 hours of your registration.
This Global Career Boot Camp is sponsored by Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA), SocialVents, and City Limits.
Kate Warren - Instructor
Global Director of Recruitment, Devex
With over a decade of international recruitment experience, Kate Warren is the Director of Global Recruitment Services at Devex- the leading provider of recruiting services to the international development community. She works with the human resources departments of the major donor agencies (like World Bank, United Nations, USAID), NGOs and consulting firms that make development happen.
Prior to joining Devex, Kate was a recruitment officer for International Relief and Development- an NGO working in over 40 countries- and a deputy program manager and international recruiter for Checchi and Company, Consulting Inc- a USAID consulting firm focused on institutional reform in developing and post-conflict countries. She previously recruited interpreters in more than 300 languages for US immigration courts and international conferences.
Kate graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a degree in Latin American Studies, has lived in Argentina, Costa Rica and Mexico and speaks Spanish. She is a frequent speaker at seminars and contributor to articles on careers in international development. Kate lives in Washington, DC with her husband and their two daughters.
Connie Robson - Guest Speaker
Sr. Director of Global Recruiting, International Rescue Committee
Connie Robson is the Sr. Director, Global Recruiting at the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in New York City. IRC is a widely respected international NGO that responds to some of the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Connie leads a team of 8 global recruiters and is responsible for the sourcing and hiring of international staff in over 24 countries where IRC works. Connie joined IRC in July, 2010 and has over 25 years not-for-profit and NGO human resources management and international recruiting experience. Prior to joining IRC, Connie worked for 11 years with Save the Children in Westport, Connecticut, where she was responsible for global recruiting in over 40 countries overseas. Connie received her Master’s Degree in Communications from Michigan State University and her Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology from Northeastern University in Boston, MA.
Upcoming events in this area
Jul 20, 2021
New York , NY