Refugees and Global Migration
Great Decisions 2019 | Topic 1
Today, no countries have open borders.
Today, no countries have open borders. Every state in today’s global system has its own laws and policies about who is permitted to cross its borders, and how they will do so. Who determines whether someone is a refugee or a migrant? How have different countries, including the United States, reacted to migration? How effective are the international laws, policies and organizations that have evolved to assist and protect refugees and migrants?
Photo by NurPhoto/Getty Images
- Many worldwide oppose more migration –– both into and out of their countries
- U.N. Approves Sweeping Deal on Migration, but Without U.S. Support
- Human migration is a pressing public health issue, report says
- A U.N. Migration Pact Is Dividing Europe –– And Has Become Fodder for Nationalists
- As Winter Arrives, Thousands of Migrants Are Trapped in Bosnia