Frank R. Cella Memorial Award 2013
Recognizing Great Decisions Discussion Programs
The Foreign Policy Association is currently accepting nominations for the 2013 Frank R. Cella Memorial Award.
The Frank R. Cella Memorial Award acknowledges the achievement of individual Great Decisions discussion groups. The Award is not meant for ranking discussion groups, instead, it allows FPA to acknowledge five individual groups and share their contributions and example with the rest of the Great Decisions network.
The Award is named for the late Frank R. Cella, who for 13 years worked at the Foreign Policy Association to promote the Great Decisions Discussion Program and support existing group leaders. Frank also led several discussion groups each year (sometimes as many as five at one time) at Institutes for Learning in Retirement, community centers, libraries and other locations. He brilliantly shared his first-hand experiences with the FPA staff, Great Decisions facilitators and organizers across the country, improving their experience with Great Decisions and helping to fulfill the mission of the Great Decisions Discussion program.
All Great Decisions groups are eligible for nomination, including groups serving a particular locality, community, or professional association; groups based in a workplace, a school, a library, or a retirement community; recently established or long-established groups—that is, any group participating in the Great Decisions network.
Group members may nominate their own group, or an individual outside the group may submit the nomination. Please send nominations by December 31, 2013 to:
[email protected], Subject: Frank Cella Award
At least one PHOTO of the group should accompany all nominations. Award recipients will be notified in early 2014.
All nominations must include:
- Name, address, telephone number, and email of the person submitting the nomination.
- Official name, location, and type (e.g., local community, campus, professional association, retirement community) of group being nominated. If different from the above, contact information for the nominated group.
- Brief history of the group. For example, you may want to include how the group was formed, how many years it has been operating, number and general description of group members, memorable group meetings or activities.
- Explanation of the group's achievements in advancing community understanding of U.S. foreign policy and global issues.
- Description of how the group operates—e.g., a general description of group agenda and functions.
- If relevant, names and titles of guest speakers at group meetings or events.
- If relevant, any media attention attracted by the group.
- Anecdotal information or approaches to Great Decisions topics that may be of interest to other Great Decisions groups.
- Any quotes that group members want to share.
Have a question? Feel free to email us at [email protected]!