Breaking into Global Finance: I-Banking to the World Bank
- Wednesday, April 25, 2012
5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
NYU Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute
20 Cooper Square
New York, NY
- Event type
Advice for careers in finance & banking, from the public sector, multi-lateral lending agencies, ratings agencies, commercial & investment banking to hedge funds and private equity.
In this course, we will explore:
• Key spheres of finance and banking: what are they & what are the career paths?
• Advice for development in finance, including detailed advice for specific institutions & aptitudes
• Academic paths, training programs, and internships that can give you an edge
• Advanced tips on communications, networking, job hunting, & informational/formal interviews
• Public to private and private to public transitions in finance
• How to manage your work, boss, & career once you’re in
• Leveraging mainline finance and banking experience into other opportunities
Who should attend?
• Professionals in any field looking for insider advice on private sector networking & professional development
• Undergraduate and graduate students considering or preparing for a career in finance
• Young professionals interested in breaking into a career in finance
• Current finance professionals looking to transition to a different financial field
All attendees receive:
• Enrollment in the Foreign Policy Association Global Jobs email alerts
• Free half-year digital subscription to Foreign Affairs magazine
• Light food and drink during a networking/Q&A session
Jake Bright - Instructor
Finance Professional & Business Writer
Jake Bright is a Whitehead Fellow of the Foreign Policy Association, contributing editor on business to Africa.com and Global Vision Magazine, and writer for Bloomberg L.P. He also speaks on business and finance issues publicly for various forums.
Prior to his current activities, Mr. Bright spent 10 years in international finance as a management associate and officer at The Bank of New York, then BNY Mellon. He has served in the Clinton administration in The Department of Commerce and on White House staff as a speechwriter and chief aide to international economic advisors.
Throughout his career, Jake has advised on professional and career development and academic and career paths in foreign affairs in numerous capacities. This includes programs with New York’s International House, involvement with several mentor oriented non-profit organizations, and corporate presentations and alumni counseling to his graduate school.
Mr. Bright earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations with certificates in African Studies and International Development from Michigan State University, where he graduated with honors. He also attended Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs, where he attained a Master of International Affairs degree in international economics and diplomacy.
Paul Framatico - Instructor
Finance Professional & Managing Director, BRIC Advisory
Paul Fratamico is a managing director at BRIC Advisory, a financial advisory boutique that is a leading arranger of development bank finance. In addition to BRIC Advisory, Paul is a contributing writer for Bloomberg L.P., where he covers subjects including economics, finance, and investments.
Mr. Fratamico has worked as a hedge fund analyst at Resurgence Asset Management, part of the MD Sass Group which manages in excess of $10 billion in assets. Prior to Resurgence, Mr. Fratamico worked for JP Morgan, where he helped companies raise capital through bond, bank loans, and equity offerings, and advised on strategic merger and acquisition transactions.
Mr. Fratamico arrived in New York after working in development finance in Washington, D.C., where he worked at the Inter-American Development Bank, the leading provider of development finance to Latin America and the Caribbean.
Mr. Fratamico attended Villanova University where he majored in English Literature. He attended the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, where he studied international economics focusing on Latin America. Mr. Fratamico earned an MBA in finance from the University of Chicago.
Upcoming events in this area
Elizabeth French Hitchcock Lecture with Dr. Francis Fukuyama: Identity and the Rise of Global Populism
Apr 25, 2019
New York, NY
FPA Centennial Lecture: Sino-American Interactions, Past and Future; a talk with Ambassador Chas Freeman
Jun 13, 2019
New York, NY