Country Director (Freetown, Sierra Leone )
- Innovations for Poverty Action
- Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Mid Career / Advanced
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
- Reports to: Director, Country Programs
- Location: Based in Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Commitment: Three years
- Application Deadline: July 15, 2013
- Desired Start Date: September
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization. Based in New Haven, CT, with offices in Washington, D.C. and worldwide, IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
IPA is looking for a Sierra Leone Director to manage operations in Sierra Leone. IPA Sierra Leone Directors help IPA grow by initiating new partnerships and projects in their countries. We are currently expanding projects in IPA Sierra Leone, with significant opportunity for research with large policy impact. This provides a unique opportunity to have important management responsibilities while being closely involved in cutting-edge research projects, and to work with top academics. Sierra Leone Directors also play a key role in disseminating our results to local practitioners and policymakers, as well as in building local research capacity. The position therefore provides the opportunity to both spend significant time in the field, but also to interact with key players in development organizations, donors, and governments.
Current research projects in Sierra Leone draw on behavioral economics, political science, public health, psychology, and agricultural economics in their designs, and include research on primary health care performance, agricultural technology transformation, governance, inventory credit scheme, community reconciliation, private business development, and child protection.
- The Sierra Leone Director manages the research activities of the IPA Sierra Leone office in the following ways:
- Initiate and manage the development of new research proposals including both the technical design as well as identifying and applying for funding support.
- Manage relationships with current and potential IPA partner organizations in the implementation of interventions whose effect we are researching.
- Disseminate results via local and international presentations, reports, and publications.
- Liaise with US-based and local Principal Investigators and IPA headquarters.
- Oversee basic administrative tasks related to the management of the Sierra Leone office, oversee project budgets, ensure compliance with The Government of Sierra Leone legal and regulatory requirements, participate in grant reporting and other financial management tasks.
- Graduate degree in international affairs, international public policy, development economics, or field related to international economic development.
- Very high level of proficiency in English. Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Experience in conducting field research in developing countries, cultural sensitivity, and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies.
- Experience in economics or social science research.
- Willingness to travel frequently within Sierra Leone.
- Experience with data management, econometrics, and advanced knowledge of Stata.
- Experience with randomized controlled trials.
- Barbara Bhamra
Please follow the application instructions below. Any applications or CVs submitted outside this process will not be considered. Note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line:100956IPASierraLeone, Country Director
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name
- Attachments: Please attach ONLY your cover letter and resume
2) Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application.
Please do not include any text besides your name in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
IPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer
All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DISCLAIMER:The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the Country Director. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.