Chief of Party – South SudanAPPLY ONLINE
- Juba, Sudan
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Date Posted
Chief of Party – South Sudan
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Internews is seeking a Chief of Party for its South Sudan project, which includes management of Eye Radio, a 24/7 local radio station in Juba, as well as a network of four community radio stations across South Sudan. The CoP will be a strong inspirational leader, providing oversight in ensuring that grants received by Internews to help independent broadcast media in the field office are properly executed and reported. S/he is a patient and flexible senior manager, with experience managing large USAID grants, especially in remote, conflict-ridden environments, and is a believer in the power of information to change, transform and save lives. The CoP is expected to provide consistent and high standard editorial oversight, training and mentoring and management support in this highly sensitive environment. The position will be based in Juba, South Sudan for the duration of the project, with field travel as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Provide overall management, vision and direction of program, including budget management, technical oversight and quality assurance.
- Supervise/manage staff in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures.
- Be the primary contact for USAID, including regular meetings and updates with USAID staff.
- Manage and shepherd the “big picture” vision of the project, including strategies for sustainability of radio stations, capacity building of staff and organizational development of institutions.
- Oversee key senior staff responsible for the day-to-day training, research, logistics and administration of the project, including building team cohesion and direction.
- Oversee Community Radio Network (CRN) manager to ensure four community radio stations in remote regions of South Sudan are operating effectively in terms of broadcasting content, capacity building, sustainability planning, community engagement and logistical/administrative needs.
- Oversee Eye Radio Program Director to ensure Eye Radio is operating effectively in terms of broadcasting content and capacity building of staff.
- Oversee marketing and administration team to build institutional capacity and work towards sustainability of Eye Media.
- Manage implementation of organizational development strategy for Eye Media and its board; working toward the creation of an independent, self-sufficient local media NGO.
- Oversee technical team, including managing roll-out of national broadcasting strategy.
- Work closely with administrative team to ensure timely and accurate financial responsibilities are met.
- Liaise with representatives of sources of funding for Internews’ work, including support in writing proposals.
- Maintain close contact with other Internews managers in the region.
- Strategize new directions/methods for Internews to help independent media.
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of independent news broadcasting in South Sudan.
- Maintain contact with local government officials and authorities in the region.
- Ensure the Internews Field Office is properly registered and conforms to local tax law.
- Collaborate closely with all partner organizations to monitor their progress and provide technical support as needed.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated.
- Prepare and assemble materials for all reports, including work plans, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and final reports, in compliance with donor guidelines. Work with Regional Manager to provide comprehensive draft reports, in English, including all proper M&E data, narrative reports, success stories, quotes and photos.
- Visionary leader able to inspire others to achieve project goals
- Experience managing a major USAID-funded project as CoP, or equivalent
- Minimum 10 years of management experience on large projects with significant size staff
- Experience in building and effectively supervising a diverse team of employees
- Experience in capacity building, sustainability planning, and organizational development
- Successful track record in supervising, designing, managing, and implementing technical assistance programs
- Excellent English skills mandatory; knowledge of local languages in target region desirable
- Proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans
- Practical experience in establishing and operating training programs
- Experience living and working in Africa and/or conflict/post-conflict environments
- Strong background understanding of conflict in South Sudan and the Abyei region
- Ability to adjust to shifting political circumstances and create programming accordingly
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place and experience supervising staff
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible
- Ability to travel within and spend extended time in the field, with limited facilities, often under harsh conditions
- Experience writing and reporting for grants (especially USAID)
- Journalism education or experience
- Experience managing an office with 50-100 people
- Relevant university degree, preferably master’s or higher
- Ability and desire to live and work in challenging environment
- Experience working/living in South Sudan
- Radio broadcasting experience, preferably in community radio
- Knowledge of broadcast equipment, engineering and/or technical support
Please visit Internews' website to apply: