Finance & Operations Manager
- National Defense University Foundation
- Washington, DC
- Salary Range:
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Entry Level / Mid Career
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
The Finance and Operation manager is the Foundation lead on all finance, accounting and human resources related activity and reports to the Foundation President/CEO. In addition, this role is responsible for the operation of the Foundation run gift shop. He/she will report to the Board of Directors on the financial state of the Foundation at the 3 annual board meetings and additionally as directed.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Process all Foundation financial functions including:
- Payroll: submit, journalize and process through accounts payable
- Accounts payable: process invoices for Foundation operations and University support
- Monthly bank and security deposit reconciliations
- Account receivable: enter in Financial Edge (FE) or Raiser’s Edge (RE) as appropriate
- Pass all processed gifts to Outreach/Development team for recognition/receipt
- Perform reconciliation of deposits with Raiser’s Edge data
- Process manual credit card transactions as needed and enter into FE/RE as appropriate
- Manage banking, insurance and other financial institution relationships
- Responsible for grant management (submitting, reporting, closing)
- Serve as primary point of contact with all University components for coordination on requests and dispersal of Foundation funds.
- Generate and send weekly and monthly cash flow reports to Board Finance Committee and President/CEO.
- Act as lead on Financial Edge administration (account and project codes) and mapping of Raiser’s Edge funds to Financial Edge project codes/accounts.
- Responsible for all financial reports, including internal financial statements; reports to government and private funding sources; federal tax returns (990, 1099, 5500, etc), state filings and Board of Directors.
- Coordinates audit work with accounting firm and represents Foundation in responding to audit information requests, ensuring the timely completion and delivery of the yearly audit to the Board and Executive Management.
- Complete PCI Compliance and manage Foundation credit card processing accounts.
- Serve as Human Resources manager for Foundation
- Draft and update employee contracts as needed
- Process all new employees, providing the proper paperwork and documentation
- Manage 403(b) and healthcare plans
- Prepare and submit new enrollments, changes and cancelations
- Remain educated on plan and regulatory changes
- Monitor and log employee leave
- Collect and file information forms for individuals that are not staff but receive payment from Foundation (contractors, etc) (needed for Form 1096/1099s)
- Manage Foundation run bookstore
- Inventory acquisition and monitoring
- Vendor relations and research
- Coordination with AAfes
- Assist in documenting procedures and monitoring of internal controls.
- Manage Foundation insurance coverage, and related reporting, for personnel, board of directors and property.
- Draft, review and approve all grant, contract, MOU and other agreements.
- Assist CEO with special projects as requested.
- Assume additional duties and responsibilities as may be directed.
Start date for this full-time position is anticipated to be 15 April 2013.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous benefits including health, dental, and life insurance coverage offered and retirement plan with employer matching contribution.
About the National Defense University Foundation
The National Defense University Foundation (NDUF), established in 1982 as a non-profit organization, provides private sector support for the National Defense University in mission-oriented areas otherwise not funded by government appropriations. In addition to supporting the educational initiatives of the four major colleges as well as specialized academic components under the university umbrella, the Foundation funds the Colin L. Powell Chair for National Security Leadership, Character and Ethics, currently held by former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Richard B. Myer; provides resources for international students and their families through sponsorship of English language classes, official Field Studies, and spouses’ group programs; and sponsors annual student writing awards to promote deep thought on a variety of national security related topics and recognize academic excellence among the future leaders at NDU. The Foundation also hosts the annual American Patriot Award to honor exceptional warriors and statesmen for their leadership and selfless dedication to the values and principles of the United States. Past recipients have included Former Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, Dr. Henry Kissinger, and United States Special Operations Command.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Concentration in business, finance or equivalent field preferred.
- Keen financial and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting practices and procedures desired.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction to accomplish goals.
- Highly detail oriented and organized in work. Demonstrates maturity and good judgment.
- Ability to manage, prioritize and execute multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Positive, enthusiastic team player who adapts easily to change and works cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving and results.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced computer literacy with spreadsheets, accounting, database, and word-processing applications required.
- Minimum 2-3 years of professional experience.
- Financial & Raiser’s Edge experience a plus.
- Ms. Elma Rhue
Please send resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and 2-3 references to:
Ms. Elma Rhue, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Finance & Operations Manager” in the subject line.
*Applications from recruiters WILL NOT be accepted.