Africa InternAPPLY ONLINE
- Freedom House
- Washington, DC
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Date Posted
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Intern will assist with logistical, research, and administrative support for Africa programs. She/he will have the opportunity to gain experience in program administration, grant management, proposal development and writing, and Freedom House’s work to promote democracy and human rights in the Africa region. This internship position will report to the Director for Africa programs.
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in background research needed for proposals and program activities
- Provide administrative and logistical support for day-to-day functioning of Africa programs
- Assist with database maintenance
- Attend Africa related events and other external meetings as necessary and provide readout to team members
- Assist with other related projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or current college or graduate student
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of or interest in human rights and democracy issues in the Africa region
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of human rights, democracy and international development concepts preferred
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and grant-related compliance requirements preferred
- Experience living, volunteering, working, or studying in the region preferred
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Qualified and Interested applicants
Please send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR. Dept., referencing 2013-013 Africa Intern. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.