Field Office Director
- The Carter Center
- Cairo, Egypt
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
The Carter Center is seeking a highly-qualified individual to serve as Field Office Director of the Center’s Democracy Program in Egypt. The Field Office Director will manage the Center’s planned observation activities for parliamentary elections in Egypt. This independent contract position is assigned for four months with the possibility of extension. The position requires relocation to Cairo by mid-February 2013.
Primary responsibilities of the Field Office Director position include:
· Represent The Carter Center in Egypt.
· Manage the Center’s planned observation activities. Contribute to strategic planning of the long-term electoral observation and political monitoring programming in Egypt. Manage all aspects of project implementation and strategic work plan.
· Maintain ongoing liaison with key actors including: government officials, security officials, political party representatives, the international diplomatic and donor community, NGO and civil society leaders, and other critical groups. Recruit and manage other consultants, as applicable.
· Provide analysis and advice to The Carter Center on the socio-political environment in Egypt.
· Draft Carter Center press releases and public statements, and project reports as necessary in consultation with Atlanta staff.
· Direct and supervise field office staff and in conjunction with program management, allocate field office project funds in accordance with budget limitations and donor contract regulations. Supervise field office financial reporting to ensure appropriate management and monitoring of field office operational funds.
· Allocate field office project funds in accordance with budget limitations and donor contract regulations. Supervise field office financial reporting to ensure appropriate management and monitoring of field office operational funds.
· Other program design and implementation duties, as needed.
Applicants should have 7-10 years of senior level experience implementing election observation missions, democracy and governance programs, or conflict-prevention efforts, ideally in countries transitioning to a democratic government. Knowledge of program design is essential. Arabic language capacity and/or prior work experience in Egypt is highly desirable.
Candidates should possess strong program management skills, cross-cultural understanding, be highly organized, and able to work under pressure and tight deadlines when necessary. Strong writing and communication skills and competence with computer applications required. A positive attitude and the ability to work effectively in leading a diverse team are essential. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Paul Linnell
Please send cover letter, CV, and list of references (with email contact information) to:
The Carter Center
Deadline for submissions: February 4, 2013
Please include the title of the job for which you are applying in the subject line of the email.
The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
Note: Because this is an international observation mission, Egyptian nationals are not eligible to serve as Carter Center Field Office Director. Additionally, due to the large volume of applicants, only those candidates selected for additional consideration will be notified by the Center.