Associate Regional Director - AfricaAPPLY ONLINE
- American Friends Service Committee
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Mid Career
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
TITLE: Associate Regional Director -Africa
LOCATION: Nairobi- Kenya
SUPERVISOR: Regional Director for Africa
SUMMARY OF PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES
The Associate Regional Director is an official representative of the AFSC in Africa, working under the supervision and guidance of the Regional Director. S/he supports, and represents the organization on behalf of, the Regional Director in the management of operations, processes and program implementations complying with organizational policy. S/he supports the Regional Director’s efforts to shape the strategic direction, effective implementation of program plans, and to manage AFSC’s financial, material, and human resources in accordance with the organization's mission and values. The Associate Regional Director for Africa will be tasked with the responsibility for the leading and overseeing the work on Somalia and Kenya. S/he will also be the point person for communication, institutional fundraising, monitoring and evaluation and organization of regional events.
The key responsibilities of the Associate Regional Director include the following:
Program Development and Management
- Oversee and lead the program development, implementation and evaluation of programs on Kenya or/ and new initiative.
- Oversee the processes of hiring consultants and staff involved in the program development and supervise their work.
- Support the Regional Director in supervision of regional and country program plans.
- Assist the Regional Director in planning and reviewing of AFSC regional strategic directions and development of strategies for realignment where necessary.
Stewardship of Resources
- Assist the Regional Director in financial review and authorize routine financial transactions in the absence of the Regional Director.
- Explore opportunities for program funding and support development of funding proposals and annual budgets and be a contact person to Development.
- Ensure timely reporting to support funding applications; ensure compliance with donor funding requirements and accurate reporting on use of funds.
Administration and Supervision
- Assist the Regional Director in ensure that all staff are familiar with and work toward the long-term vision and strategic goals of AFSC and incorporate the organization’s values and principles in their work.
- Supervise the staff in the regional office.
External Representation, Outreach and Communication
- Articulate AFSC’s basic philosophical and faith-based principles, as appropriate, to staff and partners, including the organization’s commitment to nonviolent approaches to conflict.
- Represent the upcoming AFSC program on Kenya and communicate the processes and outcome to launch the program.
- Coordinate visits by representatives of donor agencies and other AFSC – related programs or partners.
- Provide quick and timely information to AFSC and to donor representatives on key developments or events in the region as they are related to or affect AFSC work.
- Assist in the outreach, collaboration and sharing of information with Quaker partners, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Act as point person for liaison with the AFSC Web Team on the use and updating of the AFSC Web Site, and monitor and advise on timely updates and content.
EDUCATION: Masters Degree in related field preferred. Exceptional work experience may be accepted in lieu of the degree.
- Ten or more years experience in international positions, planning and managing peace building, humanitarian assistance, recovery and development programs in developing countries. Africa experience preferred.
- Experience in strategic thinking, fundraising, grant writing, program planning and implementation.
OTHER REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to Quaker values, testimonies and process. Understanding of and compatibility with the principles and philosophy of the American Friends Service Committee including nonviolence and the belief in the intrinsic worth of every individual.
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles, concerns, and considerations of AFSC in regard to issues of race, class, nationality, religion, age, gender and sexual orientation, and disabilities. Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with diverse staff.
- Demonstrated administrative ability, including experience with staff supervision, financial management, narrative and financial reporting, and budgeting.
- Understanding of macroeconomic and political developments in the world and the ability to interpret their impact within the context of regional issues and concerns. Interest in, respect for, and knowledge of the cultures of Africa.
- Demonstrated analytical and communications skills; fluency in spoken and written English.
- Ability to work independently in an unstructured setting and program, yet within a framework of long-distance communication, consultation, and decision making.
- Ability to cope in situations of high risk and in compliance with security measures, to work under pressure, and to organize time effectively.
- Computer skills (PC/Windows), particularly in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications (MS Office), and e-mail.
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: For a period not to exceed five years.
COMPENSATION: In lieu of a fixed salary, AFSC offers a maintenance package which includes the local costs of living for the appointee and accompanying dependents, school costs for accompanying dependent child/ren, vacation allowance, savings, and an on-going home cost allowance. Benefits include life insurance, and full medical and dental coverage. A detailed handout is available from HR on the maintenance package and benefits.
The American Friends Service Committee is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
Please apply online at https://jobs-afsc.icims.com/jobs/1260/associate-regional-director-africa/job by January 31, 2013