- The American University of Iraq, Sulaimani
- Sulaimani, Iraq
- Organization URL:
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
The Board of Trustees announces the search for the second president of the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani, and invites nominations and applications for this uncommon opportunity to shape the future of this progressive and history-making institution.
The American University of Iraq, Sulaimani, is a private, non-profit higher-education institution founded in 2007 to provide a student-centered, American-style education that embodies the philosophy, standards, and teaching practices of the American higher-education model. The university currently offers six academic programs that lead to a bachelor’s degree, as well as an Executive Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) and continuing education classes from its Professional Development Institute. Students at AUIS come from all over Iraq and represent the country’s diverse ethnic and religious landscape. Approximately 850 Kurds, Turkmen, Sunni and Shi’a Muslims, Christians, and Yezidis populate the growing student body. At AUIS the devout and the agnostic interact freely, as do males and females. And with the English language and active student clubs and organizations serving as social lubricants, students from radically different backgrounds come together in ways their parents might not have ever thought possible. This unique, pluralistic environment is a microcosm of Iraq’s highest aspirations.
The next president of AUIS will have the opportunity to enhance and expand the curriculum, develop the faculty, and increase enrollment. Recruiting a dynamic chief academic officer, setting AUIS on a clear path to US regional accreditation, and developing a plan for long-term financial sustainability will be prime among the challenges calling for an adventurous visionary with the skills of a turnaround specialist.
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES OF THE NEXT PRESIDENT
• An adventurous spirit, combined with the critical eye of a turnaround specialist.
• Experience in building an effective management team, developing cutting edge academic programs and building the intellectual infrastructure necessary to troubleshoot problems and seize opportunities.
• The ability to transform a passion for creating an educational institution that will be the pride of Iraq into plans that are innovative in content and practical in implementation.
• An affinity for the Middle East and its peoples.
• An informed commitment to the ideals of an American-style liberal arts education and the ability to articulate its ideals persuasively and repeatedly to diverse audiences.
• Significant and successful administrative experience reflecting the ability to build an institution by developing quality academic programs and attracting and retaining high quality faculty and staff.
• Experience working in a start-up or turnaround environment.
• A demonstrated capacity for fundraising, including the aptitude to draw resources from educational and cultural foundations and agencies of the US Government.
• An appreciation of the university’s distinctive culture and values, its special niche in higher education, and the commitment and passion to convey this distinctiveness to those within and beyond the university community.
• A superior mind with a broad vision, varied interests, a fresh perspective, balanced judgment and creativity.
• Excellent communication skills, with a confident and comfortable public presence.
• A dynamic work ethic evidencing energy, stamina, enthusiasm, resilience, flexibility and a sense of humor.
It is not necessary that the president of AUIS speak Kurdish or Arabic. Nor is it necessary that the president have lived or worked in the Middle East. That said, the ability to embrace living outside the USA or Europe and thrive while working among other cultures will most definitely be a plus in succeeding in this position.
- Richard A. Wueste
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
The AUIS Search Committee will begin reviewing and evaluating applications as they are received and will continue to accept and review credentials until a new president is selected. Although applications will be accepted until a new president is selected, candidates are advised to submit their materials by February 22, 2013, to ensure fullest consideration. The new president will be invited to begin work in the summer/fall of 2013.
Richard A. Wueste of AGB Search is assisting with this search. Nominators and prospective candidates may contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 719-589-2050. Applications should be submitted electronically to AUISPresident@agbsearch.com.
Materials must include a letter of candidacy that responds to the Agenda for the Next President and the Desired Attributes, a complete CV or resume, and the names and contact information (telephone and e-mail) for five references, none of whom will be contacted until a later stage of the search or without the formal permission of the candidate. All inquiries and applications will be received and evaluated in confidence.
The American University of Iraq, Sulaimani, is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.