Legal Empowerment and Paralegal Networks Expert, Anglophone West Africa (Contract)APPLY ONLINE
- American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Mid Career
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 60 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
ABA ROLI is recruiting a Legal Empowerment and Paralegal Networks Expert for a program in Anglophone West Africa that will support the efforts of civil society organizations (CSOs) to protect the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals. ABA ROLI expects that the contractor will be in country for a period of 4-6 months and that the contractor will have expertise in using paralegal networks to provide legal services to vulnerable populations. The contractor will assist CSOs to establish and manage a paralegal network, ensuring the CSOs are able to incorporate best practices and lessons-learned from other contexts. Compensation will be based on prior experience. ABA ROLI will cover all necessary travel costs, including visas, housing, and meals and incidental expenses.
- Assist in the design of a paralegal network using a collaborative approach with CSOs, including the development of training materials for paralegals, case-management tools, and systems for oversight and support of paralegals;
- Assist in the training of selected paralegals together with the local CSOs to provide supplemental training and mentoring using interactive adult teaching techniques.
- JD or Master’s degree required;
- 3-5 years of experience in the field of international development and/or human rights advocacy;
- 2-3 years of experience designing and implementing paralegal programs to improve access to justice;
- Experience working with, and strengthening, civil society partners;
- Experience working on and knowledge of LGBT legal rights issues desirable;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
To apply, please visit http://abanet.devhire.devex.com/jobs/326459. Due to the high volume of applicants, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.