Northeast Regional Finance DirectorAPPLY ONLINE
- J Street
- Boston, MA
- Salary Range:
- Commensurate with experience
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Mid Career / Advanced
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $7 million organization with a national staff of 50. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 10 cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Tel Aviv. J Street has an expansive network of supporters engaged in pro-Israel, pro-peace activism in their communities, promoting active U.S. leadership to achieve a two-state solution.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Lobbying and advocating Middle East policy changes in Congress, the media, and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
The J Street family of organizations is comprised of:
J Street, a 501(c)(4) organization and registered lobby that seeks to complement the work of existing organizations and individuals that share J Street’s agenda through lobbying and advocacy efforts.
JStreetPAC, the largest pro-Israel political action committee in the U.S. and the first PAC formed to endorse and raise money for federal candidates who champion pro-Israel, pro-peace policies, including a two-state solution. In 2010, JStreetPAC distributed a record high of $1.5 million to 61 endorsed candidates which led to 45 electoral victories.
The J Street Education Fund (JSEF), a legally independent 501(c)(3) organization that works to open up the conversation on Israel in the American Jewish community, educate Americans about the urgent need for a two-state solution, and organize Americans in support of active U.S. leadership to achieve this objective. JSEF is currently organizing in over 45 cities and on more than 50 campuses, with 700 Rabbis publicly serving on its National Rabbinic Cabinet. J Street runs many programs and events to support its mission including an annual national conference and educational mission trips to the Middle East.
The Northeast Regional Finance Director (RFD) will oversee all of J Street’s fundraising efforts in Boston, a key national fundraising hub, and elsewhere throughout the Northeast region. His/her primary goals are: first, to identify, cultivate and solicit major donors; and, second, to expand the base of operating and political candidate support for J Street in the region. He/she will report to the Vice President for Development and work closely in partnership with the Northeast Regional Director and the Director of Political Affairs.
The Northeast Finance Director is responsible for meeting (or beating) annual operating and political fundraising objectives in the region, Specifically, the Finance Director is responsible for:
· Mapping out a regional development strategy, including annual targets for operating and political fundraising, as well as plans for long-term growth
· Managing relationships with all donors of $1000 or more in the region, including cultivation, re-solicitation and finding the most appropriate ways for donors to become engaged in other aspects of J Street’s work
· Identifying and researching prospective individual and institutional donors, focusing primarily on recruiting major donors to add to the President Council and National Finance Committee, J Street’s $25,000 and $10,000 annual giving categories
· Managing all aspects of the political fundraising by JStreetPAC in the region – including soliciting J Street supporters to make political contributions through the PAC and coordinating fundraising events for candidates endorsed by the PAC
· Coordinating periodic fundraising trips to the region by J Street’s President and/or Vice President for Resource Development
· Coordinating an annual J Street fundraising event in Boston to benefit the 501(c)(4)
The Northeast Finance Director will work closely in a team led by the Northeast Regional Director to achieve the organization’s broader political and communal goals in the region. The Boston-based team includes a field organizer and a campus organizer as well.
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this full-time position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Weekly and monthly hours and duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid time off on federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, 401k and flexible spending account.
Desired Skills and Characteristics
Applicants should have significant professional fundraising experience and possess these attributes:
· Highly organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks and work independently;
· Personally engaging and eager to work with donors and staff;
· Experience with prospect identification and research tools;
· Personal experience soliciting contributions up to $25,000;
· Ability to think creatively about fundraising opportunities;
· Strong written and verbal skills;
· Familiarity with database systems;
· Some event planning experience; and
· A strong commitment to J Street’s pro-Israel/pro-peace mission.
Knowledge about the Jewish community and how the Israeli-Palestinian conflict plays out in American politics is strongly preferred.
- Steven Krubiner
To Apply for the Position
Interested candidates should submit by e-mail: 1) cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified; 2) resume; and 3) list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Northeast Finance Director” in the subject line.
This position is available immediately.
J Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer.