Value Chain and Private Sector Development Specialist, South SudanAPPLY ONLINE
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
Since 1963 and in 145 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has 84 projects in 40 countries and revenues of approximately $168 million.
Value Chain and Private Sector Development Specialist, Sudan
ACDI/VOCA is currently seeking a long term Value Chain and Private Sector Development Specialist for the FARM (Food, Agribusiness and Rural Markets) program, a current five-year, USAID-funded project in Southern Sudan. The Program is designed to rapidly increase agricultural productivity in selected commodities, increase trade, and improve the capacity of producers, private sector and public sector actors in Southern Sudan to develop commercial smallholder agriculture. The FARM Program will foster economic growth to reduce poverty and food insecurity by improving the competitiveness of staple food value chains (Maize, Sorgum, Cassava and Goundnuts) in which large numbers of smallholders participate.
The Value Chain and Private Sector Development Expert will be based in Juba and provides primary technical direction to the program components, particularly component #2. The broad objectives of this component are to improve the competiveness of local agricultural production, alleviate constraints to market access, identify new market channels, and establish linkages between farmers, producer organizations, agribusinesses and end markets. This is a critical and integrated component to the FARM program as markets ultimately dictate the guidelines for all operations and decisions made by growers, processors, packers, shippers and other actors within value chains. Please note that this is a long term, non-family post.
- Provide overall leadership in applying a value chain approach and learning process to ensure project interventions are targeted and responsive to evolving market requirements and upgrading needs.
- Coordinate with other project staff to support farmer and producer organizations to evaluate market requirements and develop production plans responsive to market demands.
- Facilitate linkages between lead farms, producer organizations, wholesalers and traders to bring local production to domestic markets on a competitive basis with imports.
- Provide assistance in conjunction with other technical staff to build the capacity of producer organizations to perform marketing functions.
- Strengthen farms, associations and rural enterprises to improve PHH and value-added services including drying, milling, processing and storage.
- Support retailers and wholesalers to develop market associations to promote more transparent and equitable system of market fees and ensure a reliable flow of local production to market.
- Conduct training of traders, processors and other intermediaries to provide services that increase the competiveness of local production.
- Develop market linkages between farmers and other value chain actors by establishing business relationships and facilitating deals (both formal and informal) which open new market channels for producers.
- Work with the Capacity Building Expert to strengthen agricultural inspection and enforcement capabilities under Component 3, improving seed quality provided by the private sector, and promote high-quality animal care services in identified areas.
- Work with local government to facilitate efficient market access for local production
- Minimum 10+ years of experience working on agricultural development and competiveness projects.
- Master’s degree in relevant agriculture/agronomy technical field
- Demonstrated understanding of the value chain approach, ideally in an African context
- Experience with post-harvest handling a plus.
- Experience implementing activities in large, complex projects in challenging environments.
- Fluency in English required.
- ACDI/VOCA International Recruitment
Please apply online at http://acdivoca.maxhire.net/cp/?E55565361D43515B7E59192F775619620762774B. No phone calls please. Only finalists contacted. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. EOE.