International Policy and Diplomacy Fellow
- United Macedonian Diaspora
- Washington, DC
- Salary Range:
- small monthly transportation stipend
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Date Posted
The United Macedonian Diaspora (UMD) is a leading international non-governmental organization addressing the interests and needs of Macedonian people and communities throughout the world outside of Macedonia.
UMD's main goals are to foster unity among Macedonian people and to advance their cause. UMD works to promote our Macedonian historical, spiritual, and cultural heritage while preserving and promoting the Macedonian tradition within the framework of various advocacy, educational, and charitable programs.
With headquarters in Washington, D.C., UMD has representatives serving Macedonian communities around the world, including in Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Russia, the United Kingdom, and throughout the United States.
- Safeguarding the rights of Macedonians around the world
- Strengthening the unity of the Macedonian Diaspora
- Acting for the benefit of Macedonian communities before governmental and international bodies
- Cooperating with the world community by promoting universal ideals of peace, freedom, self-determination, and justice
- Preserving and promoting Macedonian culture
- Supporting the Republic of Macedonia's constitutional and rightful name
- Advancing Macedonian issues through educational advocacy, charitable efforts, and social and cultural events
- Defending the Macedonian ethnic and national identity internationally
- Supporting the human rights of Macedonians in Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Kosovo, and Serbia
- Improving bilateral relations between Macedonia and Australia, Canada, China, European Union Member-States, Russia, and the United States, among others
- Assisting in Macedonia’s accession into international bodies such as the EU and NATO
The UMD offers internships throughout the year. The internship program is designed for undergraduate and graduate students interested in Macedonia, Southeast Europe, NATO, and European Union. The internship can serve as an effective means to introduce and advance a future career in foreign policy, journalism, public relations, human rights, advocacy, government, or the nonprofit sector.
The responsibilities of the intern may include:
- monitoring legislation and congressional hearings;
- liaison with Congressional offices and advocating on subjects vital to the UMD;
- attending events throughout Washington, D.C.;
- conducting research on issues affecting U.S.-Macedonia and U.S.-Southeast Europe relations;
- preparing memoranda;
- drafting letters to the Congress and the Executive Branch;
- drafting press releases, monitoring human rights in Southeast Europe;
- organizing events throughout the U.S. and the world; and;
- assisting with general administrative duties.
The organization extensively works on EU and NATO-related issues as well and the intern will gain considerable insight and experience into how the EU and NATO operates.
The internship is open to undergraduate and graduate students. Prospective applicants from a variety of academic majors are welcome, and all majors are eligible.
Candidates for UMD should expect to work a minimum of 15 hours per week during the academic year and 35 hours per week during the summer. This position is unpaid. However, a small monthly transportation stipend will be available. Full-time internships (5 days a week) will be given preference.
GPA must be 3.5 and above.
- Ability to work independently;
- Highly motivated, responsible and reliable individual with strong research and writing skills;
- Excellent oral communication skills;
- Strong organization skills;
- Comfortable with public speaking;
- Good at problem solving and developing his/her own initiatives;
- Team player.
- Metodija Koloski
Students that are interested to learn more about the current state of affairs in Macedonia and Southeast Europe are welcome to apply for an internship with UMD.
To apply for an internship, please send a copy of your resume, writing sample(s), and a brief description about your interests in the Southeast European region, especially Macedonia, to UMD President Metodija A. Koloski at firstname.lastname@example.org.