Director for China
- PILnet: The Glowbal Network for Public Interest Law
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Date Posted
PILnet is an international organization that envisions a world where the rule of law, as developed and supported within a wide variety of countries, delivers justice and protects human rights. PILnet connects with local partners to develop the institutions essential to rights-respecting societies. It inspires and equips lawyers to serve the public interest, strengthens the ability of civil society to help shape law and policy, and makes formal systems of justice more accessible. In addition to its New York headquarters, PILnet conducts its work from offices in Budapest, Moscow and Beijing.
PILnet has three major objectives in China: 1) to help expand the scope and effectiveness of public interest law networks advancing the rights of women, migrants and other vulnerable populations in China; 2) to promote an understanding of pro bono as "lawyers' social responsibility" and support the development of new models to facilitate pro bono work; and, 3) to develop the career paths open to students and lawyers interested in engaging in public interest advocacy. For more information on PILnet's work, please visit our website at www.pilnet.org.
The Country Director will be responsible for PILnet's program in mainland China and Hong Kong, overseeing all activities, contributing significantly to further program development and fundraising, and representing PILnet to donors and other partners. Leading candidates will be lawyers with demonstrated expertise and interest in legal reform and public interest law, a deep knowledge of the Chinese context, as well as strong project management skills. The position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Strategy Development & Program Management
- Primary responsibility, in close consultation with the Executive Director, for strategy, program development and fundraising for PILnet's work in mainland China and Hong Kong.
- Oversee implementation of PILnet projects in mainland China and Hong Kong, including:
- Working closely with local partners on planning and implementing projects.
- Developing and placing pro bono projects with Chinese and foreign law firms and cultivating relationships with law firm contacts.
- Monitoring and evaluating partners' progress on joint activities.
- Managing additional projects as they develop.
- Liaise regularly with headquarters staff on status of projects and conduct internal monitoring, evaluation and report writing.
- Draft external reports to donors and external communications for website and other publications.
- Provide technical assistance to partner organizations, particularly outside Beijing.
- Represent PILnet to donors, international and local NGOs, other partners, and government officials.
- Recruit and vet Chinese applicants to PILnet's International Fellows program and maintain and build a network of alumni.
Management & Administration
- Supervise small team of professionals and hire other staff as needed.
- Oversee financial management of office, including the preparation of regular financial reports.
- Ensure that all personnel practices and other PILnet activities in China are consistent with Chinese law and adhere to PILnet's policies.
- Regularly liaise with PILnet senior staff in Moscow, Budapest and NY on management, programmatic, financial and other matters.
- Report occasionally to PILnet's Board of Directors.
- Work with the Executive Director to nurture the engagement of the China Committee of PILnet's Pro Bono Council.
- As a member of PILnet's Leadership Team, actively participate in weekly telephonic meetings to resolve organizational issues.
- A law degree.
- At least 7 years relevant work experience.
- Significant project management experience.
- Demonstrated expertise and interest in legal reform and public interest law in China.
- Superlative communication skills, including fluency in English and Mandarin.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in managing relationships with key stakeholders.
- Willingness to travel frequently within greater China, as well as visit other PILnet offices regularly.
- Denelle Burns
To apply: Please email a resume, brief cover letter and two writing samples, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include salary requirements.
Only those offered interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
PILnet is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation.