Country Director, Côte d’Ivoire (Anticipated)APPLY ONLINE
- American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
- Cote D'ivoire
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Mid Career / Advanced
- Last Date To Apply
- Date Posted
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 60 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
The ABA Rule of Law Initiative is seeking an experienced Country Director in anticipation of a potential Justice Sector Support Program in Côte d’Ivoire. The five-year judicial administration, accountability and access to justice program was developed by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and will develop training and capacity-building for key judicial actors (judges, magistrates, court clerks, judiciary police investigators, prosecutors and state defense attorneys), improve case management systems, strengthen the office of the inspectorate, and expand access to the formal legal system through community-based legal education and access to public funds for legal defense. Key institutional partners will include the Ministry of Justice, National Judicial Training Institute, National Police Academy and Inspector General of Judicial Services, and civil society organizations. The overall program will be implemented in coordination with the Ministry of Justice and other international development partners implementing rule of law reform programs in the country.
This is an anticipated position and is contingent upon funding.
The Country Director will provide overall guidance and direction for the Justice Sector Support Program in Côte d’Ivoire and will provide overall guidance and direction to the activity team as it seeks to achieve agreed-upon targets and long-term strategic objectives. S/he will:
- Be responsible for the overall implementation, monitoring and evaluation of ABA ROLI’s program activities in Côte d’Ivoire, in coordination with institutional partners and USAID;
- Ensure effective coordination and communication with USAID, the government of Côte d’Ivoire, institutional partners, other donors, as well as other technical assistance providers;
- Oversee the effective design and implementation of all program activities to ensure that the objectives of the program are being met;
- Oversee quality monitoring and evaluation of program to ensure that impact and success is tracked, and that challenges and lessons learned are documented and shared through quality reporting on a quarterly and annual basis;
- Manage international and local staff, as well as contractors, and pro bono legal specialists;
- Maintain strong and effective working relationships with sub-grantees namely through consultative meetings, site visits and reporting requirements; working out solutions to keep activities on track;
- Oversee the financial and administrative management of the program in compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
Applicants should have a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience with a demonstrated track record of progressively responsible managerial experience implementing complex donor-funded rule of law or governance related projects. The ideal candidate will have:
- Previous experience as a Country Director with a strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with host country counterparts, local and international organizations, donors, and contractors;
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the Program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders; a proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse public partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams;
- Proven exceptional leadership in the design, management, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of programs of similar size and complexity with skills in strategic planning, capacity-building, management, supervision, budgeting;
- Extensive experience managing budgets, overseeing staff, and providing technical advice;
- A graduate degree in a relevant field (law, public administration, business administration, international relations, political science);
- Prior experience working in Africa preferably Francophone Africa is desired;
- Fluency in spoken, written and reading in English, and solid technical professional proficiency in French.
To apply, please visit http://abanet.devhire.devex.com/jobs/326652. Interested candidates apply online before December 28, 2012. Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.