- Freedom House
- New York,
- Non Profit
- Mid Career
- Date Posted
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Research Analyst will play a key role in the production of Freedom on the Net, Freedom House’s publication that assesses internet and digital media freedom. Freedom on the Net employs over 60 independent consultants around the world who write reports on various aspects of internet freedom, such as online censorship, surveillance, laws impacting free speech online, extralegal harassment of bloggers, use of circumvention tools, and other topics identified in our methodology. Since its inception four years ago, the project has been adopted by governments, NGOs, journalists, and individual activists as a key source of information for their advocacy, analysis, and programming decisions. This position is based in New York and reports to the Project Director for Freedom on the Net.
We offer great benefits including:
- 100% employer-paid dental insurance
- 100% employer-paid health insurance; or generously subsidized depending on plan and coverage
- 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
- 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement plan with generous matching funds with 2-year 100% vesting schedule
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
- Tuition reimbursement for graduate studies
- A great place to work
- And much more……
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, communications, or related field; Master’s degree or other advanced degree is strongly preferred
- Minimum 2 – 4 years of directly related experience
- Superior ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of internet freedom issues, particularly internet governance, various censorship methods, and internet surveillance
- Excellent ability to edit, review, and write reports on internet freedom
- Experience in fundraising, writing proposals, and tracking and creating complex budgets is strongly preferred
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Ability to work with limited supervision and take responsibility for manage parts of projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to facilitate cooperation between people with divergent views and from different cultural backgrounds
Some duties and responsibilities
- Perform developmental and substantive editing, copyediting, and fact-checking of reports on internet freedom authored by non-native English speakers. In the process of editing, supplement the reports with own research
- Draft funding proposals and reports to donors
- Assist with recruiting external consultants and coordinating communications with field contributors and advisors
- Assist with logistical preparations for ratings-review meetings abroad and provide analytical insights during the meetings
- Prepare graphs and other support materials for publication
- Track internet freedom-related developments around the world and draft press releases and articles to draw attention to specific incidents
- Produce consultant contracts and financial documents such as reconciliation and advance request in line with Freedom House requirements
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Shannon Crowe
Qualified and Interested applicants
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position) as well as desired salary to: email@example.com or fax at (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR Dept., referencing 2012-117 Research Analyst. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. need apply.