Project Director, Colombia/Andes
- International Crisis Group
- Bogota, Colombia
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Date Posted
Purpose of the role:
Based in Bogotá, the successful candidate will manage the Colombia/Andes team and lead the advocacy efforts. He/she will supervise production of in-depth reports on conflict, security, transitional justice, governance, drug-trafficking and organised crime issues, as well as local and regional politics, analysing long and short-term challenges to conflict prevention and resolution in Colombia, Venezuela and the Andean region, and elaborating and disseminating innovative and practical policy recommendations to achieve these goals.
- Carry out substantial advocacy and media work to disseminate research findings and recommendations in Colombia, Venezuela and the Andean region;
- Work closely and liaise with government representatives and local, regional, and international organisations in gathering information, seeking input and feedback, and supporting the distribution of Crisis Group reports and recommendations in the region;
- Conduct extensive research into prevailing security, political, and social conditions in Colombia, Venezuela, and the Andean region (Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru) and keep abreast of relevant political and academic debates;
- Provide state-of-the-art analysis and advice on key conflict, security, peace building, transitional justice, governance, drug-trafficking and organised crime issues, along with local and regional politics to promote security, stability, democracy and peace in Colombia, Venezuela, and the Andean region;
- Develop three detailed policy reports or briefing papers per year, setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations, and supervise the successful production of at least two other reports or briefing papers.
- In-depth knowledge of politics and society in Colombia, Venezuela, and the Andean region with a minimum of eight to ten years working on the region at senior level, including substantial field experience;
- Excellent network of contacts with policy makers, NGOs, international organisations, businesses, and national and international journalists throughout the entire Andean region;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including outstanding public presentation skills and a very strong capacity for effective teamwork, supervision, and team leadership;
- Discernible track record of state-of-the-art political/conflict analysis, proficient political writing, and broad experience in conflict prevention/resolution;
- Past professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs, or journalism;
- Excellent writing, editing, and analytical skills, including the ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
- Fluency in English and Spanish, both written and oral;
- PhD or Master’s degree in political science, Latin American politics, journalism, sociology, international relations, or the equivalent through experience;
- Ability to accommodate a heavy travel schedule;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and often demanding, multicultural environment;
- Experience in overseeing budgetary and administrative matters.
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter, contact details of at least 3 referees, and two writing samples pertaining to conflict issues in Colombia and the Andean region. In the cover letter the candidate should briefly propose his or her own ideas on themes for two future Crisis Group reports relating to conflict in Colombia and the Andean region and briefly describe how she/he would research them (in no more than two pages). Please send applications by email to email@example.com, including "Colombia/Andes Project Director" in the subject line.
Recruitment will remain open until the appropriate candidate is appointed. Please note that only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.