Director of Online StrategyAPPLY ONLINE
- Washington, DC
- Non Profit
- Organization URL:
- Date Posted
Location: Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA
Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.greenpeace.org
Greenpeace USA is seeking a highly skilled, passionate, and innovative Director of Online Strategy to manage the Online department. The Director of Online Strategy will provide management-level analysis to help the organization implement best online practices. This position requires specialized expertise in the field of online marketing, social media, and communications. The Director of Online Strategy will report to the Chief Program Officer and will consult with the Directors of Development, Campaigns, Grassroots, and Communications to develop an integrated program to win campaigns, engage supporters and build the organization’s support base in light of the organization’s tactical and strategic objectives. The Director will coordinate all of Greenpeace’s online work, including campaigning, organizing, community building, marketing, and fundraising. Additionally, the Director will serve on the Senior Management Team and will serve as a liaison to online leaders across Greenpeace’s 29 organizations worldwide.
- Advise the Executive Director and the Senior Management Team in building power and presence in the United States to strengthen Greenpeace’s voice in protecting the environment, promoting peace, and inspiring action
- Develop and execute online strategies for all levels of the organization, including list-building, organizing, marketing, community building, fundraising, and advocacy strategies
- Provide analysis and develop best practices to increase the number of supporters on Greenpeace’s email list and expand the size of its online community through the use of social networking tools and resources
- Manage a diverse team of online professionals
- Consult with the Grassroots Team to develop activists and recruit potential volunteers for its remote organizing network and field programs
- Collaborate with the Development Department to design and implement online strategies for fundraising and donor acquisition
- Coordinate closely with the Communications Department to ensure consistent branding and messaging across all of Greenpeace’s communications channels
- Promote innovation, risk-taking, and the use of cutting-edge technology to build Greenpeace’s power and maximally disseminate its message in cost effective and compelling ways
- Constantly analyze the data generated by online work and use that knowledge to guide both strategy and implementation of online tactics
- Develop and maintain systems and programs that measure the effectiveness of the activities of the Online Department
- Determine annual budgets and staffing levels in conjunction with the Executive Director and Senior Management Team
- At least 7-10 years experience managing online campaign and online fundraising work
- Strong management, budgeting, analytical, and organizational skills, including at least 5 years of relevant management experience supervising professionals and/or directing large, national or international projects across multiple locations
- Extensive experience in data analysis and testing of digital strategies
- Adept at leading highly-skilled, diverse and remote teams
- Track record of successfully leading innovation and developing and executing integrated online strategies
- Excellent cross-departmental planning skills with the ability to work collaboratively with multiple teams, set and review goals, assess risks and outcomes, and analyse data
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience in cross-cultural settings and global experiences
- Excellent spoken and written English; Fluency in a second language is a plus
- Commitment to non-violence as a means of affecting change and supportive of non-partisan approaches to advocacy
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Julia Silbergeld, Director of Human Resources at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1962. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Greenpeace offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Greenpeace is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers:
Greenpeace has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Online Strategy. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of the nation’s most innovative and high-performing nonprofit organizations. Since its founding in 2006, Commongood Careers has completed over 500 searches at 150 organizations in 26 states. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.