Turkey: a partner in crisis
Great Decisions 2018 | Topic 5
Of all NATO allies, Turkey represents the most daunting challenge for the Trump administration.
Of all NATO allies, Turkey represents the most daunting challenge for the Trump administration. In the wake of a failed military coup in July 2016, the autocratic trend in Ankara took a turn for the worse. One year on, an overwhelming majority of the population considers the United States to be their country’s greatest security threat. In this age of a worsening “clash of civilizations” between Islam and the West, even more important than its place on the map is what Turkey symbolically represents as the most institutionally Westernized Muslim country in the world.
- The Good, the Bad, and the Gülenists
- Turkey’s Thirty-Year Coup
- Trump, Turkey’s Erdogan vow to repair relationship
- The failed coup and Turkey’s Gulenist predicament
- The Three Strategic Visions of Turkey