Great Decisions 2011 | Topic 7
Should Americans care about the Caucasus?
The countries and regions of the Caucasus all have strong national identities but have long lived in the shadow of their larger neighbors: Russia, Iran and Turkey. How does this influence the Caucasus of today? How do the region's energy resources play into its relations with the outside world?
- One Year After Leader's Death, North Caucasus Insurgency Soldiers On - RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty (blog)
- Armenian president discusses situation in South Caucasus with American experts - Trend.az
- Central Asian, Caucasus leaders outline development strategies for region - UN News Centre
- Russia's Chechnya considers army conscription in North Caucasus political ... - ITAR-TASS
- Caucasus Emirate eulogizes slain Ahrar al Sham leaders - Long War Journal
Foreign Policy Blogs
- South Ossetian Presidential Candidate Hospitalized After Police Raid, May Leave Politics
- Azeri Journalist Alleges Blackmail Attempt
- Sudden, Violent Demonstration Erupts in Northern Azerbaijan
- Azerbaijan: Blackmail Video Made Public, Possible Imminent Release of Political Prisoners
- UPDATE: Peaceful Activists Arrested, Amnesty International Reports Torture Fears